Monday, September 28, 2026

When Artists Explode on Social Media


As the Summer moved on, the gardens took a transformation and big events took place. New plantings, maintenance of older plantings and our oldest Son's wedding! But in between to do lists and noise, I was able to find time here and there to work on this. Even if it is only thirty minutes to an hour at a time. This piece is still, very much, a work in progress. I thought I would jump on here and give you an update. That water is relaxing to work on. It is my therapy. It quiets my mind, helps me set goals, and resets my thoughts.
 
Social media really scrambles my brain. Though I love seeing the art on there, by other artists, and I keep up with what is happening in my community, a lot of the time it is too much information for me. 
Today, I saw a post by an Equine Artist that I have admired for a very long time (but not anymore). This artist didn't get into an exhibition and took it out on an artist and their work, that did get into the exhibit. Publicly posting and dissing the other's piece of art. That just is not okay. I unfriended. What if that rejected artist did that to me? Yikes. I didn't feel safe in that company/environment. And the comments on that post, were not nice, aimed at the other artist and their accepted artwork.
 Why? 
WHY?!
All because the rejected individual didn't create a piece of artwork that was not accepted into the exhibit, and they felt their own work was far more superior. 
 All I can say is "Do better, work harder. Not just in your creativity, but also in your social graces".

I'm not saying I haven't been upset with a loss, not getting into shows etc. I've had thoughts that weren't nice. But, once I calmed down, I actually studied what got in. I tried to learn something from it. And I didn't go off halfcocked publicly on social media! That can do a lot of damage to one's own reputation, and how others see your art, no matter how good it might be. 

The title of my painting, here, seems a bit fitting, once again...haha...."Explosive"
12 x 20-inch watercolor on paper.

Have a grand week!
Deborah